Monday, September 28, 2009

Toby news

As you know, I had my appointment for the non-stress test and ultrasound this morning. I left Emma happily playing with Grandma Ellen, but not before I did everything I could in case I was not coming back!! I didn't even have time for breakfast!

It may sound crazy, but my anxiety about giving birth is not centred so much around the pain, but possible complications. There is always a potential need for an emergency c-section or other major complications. It makes it very hard to say goodbye to Emma! Nevertheless, the sooner we can get the baby out and bring him home, the sooner we can focus on being a slightly larger family again!! So off I went!

First I had the non-stress test. Two straps around my belly held monitors in place to monitor his heart rate. It's not just a snapshot of his heart rate, but a 45minute monitoring that also checks that the rate changes when he moves, as it should. To do that I had to press a button every time he moved.

At first there was not much movement, and after I had a snack and drink to get him going I asked the nurse if I could lay on my side. (Even on an incline, laying on your back flattens out the uterus, so I don't see how he could have moved much!) Shortly thereafter he got going and I lost track of the number of movements. Ten in an hour is the minimum you want and he well exceeded that.

That completed, the nurse laid me down for the ultrasound. The fluid levels are very good, which is why he is able to move so much, and probably why he is content to stay put!!

I had asked her to check the sex again for me, just to see if we could be more certain. She showed me evidence that it is indeed a boy!!

Then we took a look at his face. I didn't really expect to be able to tell much from a basic ultrasound, but we got a full view of some very chubby cheeks and pouty mouth.

Then the nurse told me he blinked, unaware of the implications of her statement!! I asked if she was sure and she said she was and saw him do it again. If indeed he did actually "blink" we can assume that he does not have Moebius Syndrome. I am reservedly optimistic!

So, the wait continues! We are seeing my midwife tomorrow afternoon, when we will likely discuss scheduling the induction in case the baby will not come out of his own volition!

No comments: