Friday, January 7, 2011

The week Christmas was cancelled

As I write it is December 20. A few days before Christmas, 2 days before we are booked on a flight to London.

When I told my family of our plans to visit for Christmas it was my Granddad who said "Why Christmas? What if it snows?" I think I actually laughed and said it snows here all the time, no big deal."

I don't think anyone could have expected the worst snow in 100 years to hit the UK, much less shut down one of the largest airports in the world - and our destination!

We are catching glimpses of the chaos on the news, not sure how much is reality versus media hyperbole. We are packed though, as of yesterday - that's a late start for me! And by all accounts flights between here and Heathrow are running, with only an hour delay.

If the flight is not canceled we'll be on it. Then comes the drive from London to my parents house, across the country. The highways are said to be single file each way! If that's the case and it's slow going, Scott can drive!!

But as I sat rocking Toby in my arms before bed tonight I realized that whatever happens - and it's really out of our hands - Christmas could be anywhere, as long as I'm with my family.

Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”
James 4:13-15
_________________________

It's December 21. T minus 26 hours to take-off and the phone rings. It's my Mum, telling me that my sister (who has been stalking the flight status) called and told her our flight was canceled. One click on line and it's confirmed.

Chaos ensues. Scott's in the shower, the kids are running around in that mid-afternoon hyper way before they eat dinner. And I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I can't get through to the airline on the phone. I go online and select to change my booking. For when? No flights on the 23rd. No flights on the 24th.

"SCOTT - DO WE WANT TO FLY ON CHRISTMAS DAY?"

"SURE, IF WE CAN."

No - no flights on the 25th! Next flights for booking are December 26th, Boxing Day (a national holiday in the UK.) That would bring us in on the Monday, two days after Christmas.

After the back and forth deciding how long we should stay after everyone goes back to work, we book the flights. I change the car hire.

Then reality sets in. We'll be home for Christmas. Except home is not particularly Christmassy - we didn't decorate since we wouldn't be here. We also didn't get the kids gifts because, well, they don't need anything and we weren't going to take it with us only to bring it back. (I gave them a slew of gifts on Black Friday though!!)

An unexpected emotion - guilt! The failure to provide the kids with the "normal" Christmas experienced elsewhere. Even without the acquiescing to the Santa myth, we would have made the day a little more "festive" had we planned to be here.

Then there's my family. I expect they are disappointed we won't be there, but it's comforting that they can go about their day as planned, with a little less noise and a lot more food! We were looking forward to joining in with out nieces, now 6 and almost 3, as were they.

The house feels so cold and bare, and I'm not sure why.

The up-side is, (and there always is an up-side!) Scott will be off Thursday and from then on, so we will have a few days to spend time as a family. It's been a rarity recently with all the work - for which we are truly thankful.

The dilemma is whether to unpack or not!! All my favorite clothes (for me and the others) are squeezed artfully in to one of three suitcases. To remove it all and expect the same balance of weight and protection for fragile items would be insanity! I guess we'll just have to live out of the cases for the next 5 days.

Only time will reveal if the trip is to be delayed further - in which case we will cancel and rebook at a later date.

I sent an email to family and just said "Let's assume there's a good reason we are not to be on a plane tomorrow."

“If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” James 4:15
______________________

Well, it's December 22nd, and we should have been taking off in about an hour. Instead we will be waiting an hour and four days! We did manage to speak to an airline call center today and they confirmed no earlier flights, unless you pay for first class! He also said our flight was gold dust right now, so apparently re-booking that quick was a good move after all.

Scott called my Dad this evening and we learned that my Mum and both nieces are sick! My paternal Granddad is also sick, so my Dad is heading south tomorrow. Seems like we might be better off waiting a few days after all!

I was pretty miserable today, like someone let the wind out of my sails! I'm not sure I could well explain what it is like to wait two years to visit your "home" and the emotions that go along with preparing to return. It's not all good - you place some serious expectations on yourself and project other expectations from others! I felt prepared for it all, only to be delayed.

What do you do in such high-stress times? Eat, of course!! That's been my default, to just eat for pleasure. We had Indian food last night, then Scott made hot chocolate. That said, I only binged on the leftover Ritz crackers in the cupboard - I did not bake brownies! How ironic would that be, if none of the clothes I have packed fit when I get there!!

Scott's done work now though, so we will try and make the most of this free time at home.

No comments: