Monday, July 30, 2012

Fork in the road

I went to church yesterday, which was awesome.  We've only been a couple times in the past 5/6 weeks because of various things, and we are usually there every week, if not twice!  

I've been missing that time which brings my focus back to where it should be.  When I am wrapped up in "life" too much I focus on the little things that aren't important and allow the fears and worries to engulf me.

It was clear from the first few words of the message this week, PB was pulling no punches and he delivered a great message from the truth of God's Word.  It really reinforced a change that had been trying to get through to my spirit.

Following Sunday's surgery, I had a lot of time to start questioning what happened and what was next.  And of course, what might have happened.

I was wondering what if it wasn't appendicitis and I may still have something wrong with me.  Or, what if there are complications from the surgery (still possible, scarring etc, but..).  And so on.

I found it very difficult to adapt to the interruption in my life schedule.  Our routine and daily plans were thrown on their head and I did not like the powerlessness I had in that.

As the week went on though, and I realized I've been denying God's hand in things, I decided I needed to change my thought process.  I had unquestioningly trusted the doctors, which was wrong, and had not prayed about the situation.  But I could choose to dwell on that or look for God.

When I did, it changed my attitude.  Something had prompted me to go to the emergency room for symptoms I wouldn't normally have gone.  They sent me home, without a diagnosis and I felt better than I had.  But they reviewed the CT scan and called me back in.

That chain of events, I believe was a gift from God.  I did not suffer for long with the pain and they caught it before the appendix ruptured.  It could have been a whole lot worse.  And it could have happened when Scott was in Equador!

The secondary pain I mentioned has gone and was probably a muscle pain because of the way I've been carrying myself.  

Today, the result of the biopsy confirmed I had appendicitis, probably in the very early stages.  I'm feeling pretty strong and hopeful that I'll be cleared to drive and work on Wednesday - if I'm ready.  

It's only been a week, but how intense!  I've learned a couple of lessons and probably missed more!  But I do have a greater appreciation for how precious each day is.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? 

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?  So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ for the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:25-34



No comments: