Saturday, May 24, 2014

This just happened...

Emma: I'm a little scared about the surgery to make my smile go up. (I told her about the appointment last night)
Me: what makes you scared?
Emma: I think it's going to hurt a lot.
Me: I expect it will hurt for a little bit, just like when you bashed your face last year. But it stopped hurting after a while.
It's okay if you don't want to get the surgery.  You are beautiful just as you are.  If you have it done, it will hurt for a little while but your smile will go up for a long time.
Emma: forever?
Me: yes.
Emma: I want to have it done.
Me: you will have to do exercises in the mirror four or five times a day.  Do you think you can do that?
Emma: yes.  I like looking in the mirror!

I'm sure this won't be the last time we talk about it, and I hope I'm giving a balanced view.  She's always had a high pain threshold, but I'd better tell her she'll be on soft food for a month!!

No comments: