The longest day
We all got up at 6am
to get ready. Grandma Ellen and Pops
arrived at 6.20am and Emma
was all set for a day of fun! She
couldn’t have cared less as I tried to cuddle on her for a few minutes. When Scott told her to give me a big squeeze she
hugged me, putting a hand on each shoulder and preceded to squeeze my
shoulders!!
Scott and I headed to the hospital, got checked in and
strapped to the monitors for a few minutes.
The baby looked good and started moving around right away. I was quite relieved since he’d been quiet
all morning. We took a quick walk
around, peeked at the babies in the nursery and contemplated how strange it
will be to have a newborn at home. We
can’t wait to see how Emma is with him – and are thankful she is so gentle with
things!!
Then we waited for the midwife to turn-up!
We tried to get online many times, even had the hospital
techy look at the laptop and we can’t get it to pick up the network. (Scott is posting this from home!) That is one of the biggest frustrations – my
connection to the outside world!!
There are a few options for inducing labor and we opted to
go for one that worked on contractions and cervix ripening. It’s such a drag to not know if they will
work, or how long it might be before labor even begins, let alone ends in
delivery!! God willing the whole process
won’t be too long, whatever that means.
It’s hard not knowing how long I’ll be away from Emma. If it looks like I’ll be here all night I
labor we planned for Scott to go home and put Emma to bed so she doesn’t have
to wonder where we both are.
Within two hours of arriving at the hospital our nurse, Jean
and midwife, Sarah, had us sharing the story of how we met and also telling
about Emma. It makes everything
worthwhile when you are able to share the goodness of God with the people
around you!
By the time I ate lunch I’d had two doses of the labor
inducing drug, with on very occasional cramping, no contractions or discernible
changes. The midwife didn’t see the
point in checking me until I started contracting.
In the meantime I struggled with boredom and
restlessness. Being stuck in a hospital
bed with very little to do! Scott was
great though, and kept giving me foot massages.
I watched a couple episodes of Baby Story and one had a
woman in labor for over 24 hours. It was
not encouraging to me!!
Before the third (increased) dose of meds I quizzed the
midwife on what we are facing. She said
she figured something would have started by now. In fact, I have the longest
cervix she has ever seen – not good when you’re trying to go into labor!!
Shortly afterwards though the contractions started coming,
although they are still drug-induced!
So far the plan is to change to a different medication for
overnight to finish the job on my cervix and/or kickstart me into labor. That’s right, we’re expecting to go overnight
and then start contraction meds in the morning if necessary.
They put the new stuff in at 6pm after I got checked again. Something has been happening as I am 50%
effaced and baby’s head is lower. For
now though, we’re still waiting for my body to take over the labor by itself.
It’s very difficult to not get discouraged. I miss Emma so much, and had hoped (however
delusionally) that she might be able to visit her new brother today! Hah!
Instead Scott is going home and spend an hour or two with
her before bedtime. Tomorrow I will need
to see her! I haven’t spent more than
24hours away from her since November last year, and that was torture! With any luck things will get going before
hand!
Want to help? Turn up the volume on those prayers, please!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment