Monday, October 2, 2017

Fresh Eyes

I'm back from Tijuana, back in the routine, back to work.  Everything is the same, yet different.  I am different.  I am seeing the world through different eyes.  I'm noticing where my lifestyle is excessive, where attitudes are hardened, and where compassion is lacking.  

I'm clinging to this new perspective, that compels me to love my neighbor, to value all human life, to understand that all I have truly belongs to God.  I am simply a steward of my time, my possessions, and my resources.  

I'm not quite ready to sell it all and take the family on the mission field, but that's because I don't feel like that's what God is asking me to do right now.  Instead, he is asking me to look at everything I just mentioned, and evaluate how I am using it.  Where do I need to make changes, so that I can shed the distractions and things that cause me stress?  How can I be more intentional with my resources, so that my relationships are stronger?

It's not news that debt is bad, narrow margins cause stress, and self-centeredness is destructive.  But avoiding them is a lifelong challenge!

I appreciate the timing of this trip, and the sad passing of friends recently, to combine in a powerful reminder, no, more of a wake-up call, of the brevity and purpose of life.

If you cling to your life, you will lose it, and if you let your life go, you will save it.
Luke 17:33

Maybe it sounds extreme, to lay down your will for the purpose of Christ, but surely that is the ONLY appropriate response when you believe that He first laid down His.

Check out this brief glimpse into our trip!

No comments: